Saturday, March 21

Shaved Head

First, thank you all very much for all the calls and posts of well wishes. It means more to us that we can properly express.
My nephew Wes summed it up nicely when he said "I'm really sad about Baby Marion."
Wes shaved his head for baby Marion when he heard about the St. Baldricks benefit for cancer research which I was participating in.
The shaving event happened today and over 120 people shaved their heads. Thank you for all who donated for me and also shaved your heads. These folks included many women, children, firefighters and police, cancer survivors, families of cancer survivors and patients, lots of folks who work in the hospital, and my group, families of cancer casualties. It was a very moving day.

Before...


Yes, like I said... it was very moving.

And after...



Many members of our immediate families have come to town, and my father and I (and others) have been working hard to transform a rock pile in our backyard into a memorial garden for Marion. We are planning on have a small ceremony with our families on Sunday and planting a weeping cherry tree in Marion's honor. After pictures will follow.


Many people have asked about a memorial service and coming to visit and we are thinking about having a gathering here at the house in a few weeks, we will let you know.

5 comments:

  1. The ceremony was tearful but joyous. It is an honor to have a son like Jeff and a daughter-in-law like Sarah.
    Jeff's Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah and Jeff
    Marion Isabella's life and struggles were followed daily, and I am sure for many of us it was our first experience reading blogs. We all thank you for that, as we could feel intimate without invading your privacy.
    Nothing we can say is able to make your pain ease, but please understand that we are all thinking of you. Remember the good memories and let time take care of the bad. Mary Ann and Looe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the head shaving was right about now. I hope that being with others brought a teeny bit of healing. I'm very glad your families are there with you. Happy Anniversary, Jeff's parents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Marion has been on our minds... as have you & Sarah. I'm continually amazed by your strength through this painful time. After reading about your naming inspiration, your penchant for berries and seeing that your healing process is including a memorial garden, Eric & I thought it fitting to include Marionberries in our growing berry patch. They are the best berry, but still won't be as sweet as her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah and Jeff,
    I have been thinking about you and Marion all weekend. I think the garden and the weeping cherry tree are a wonderful tribute to her short life and once again, shows the amazing love and dedication both of you had as parents. I know this is the toughest thing you'll ever go through, but this blog certainly shows that all three of you are loved by so many people. I am moved by your strength and will continue to keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Love, Michelle

    ReplyDelete